By Kay Whatley, Editor
The “Grand Opening and First Annual Open House” for Garden Treasures will open in Wendell, North Carolina, with a day of art and flowers on Saturday, April 20, 2019, 9am-5pm, at their newly-built nursery.
The public is invited to celebrate with Garden Treasures, located at 3500 Edgemont Road, Wendell, NC, as the nursery opens for retail plant sales with a Craft Fair — artists and craft vendors set up outside the greenhouses — along with a ribbon cutting and free horticulture lectures throughout the day.
The ribbon-cutting ceremony will kick off the day at 9am with Pat McCracken, nursery manager, and special guest Tony Avent of Plant Delights Nursery.
Following the ribbon cutting, the Craft Fair will open, and a variety of plants will be available for sale.
Artists and craft vendors will have their works on display along the greenhouse paths at the nursery’s juried Craft Fair. Browse local artists’ works, or purchase items for sale, created by the following:
- Kim Anderson, Garden Art
- Pepper & Kathy Buckmaster, Pepper’s Woodshop
- Karen Johnston and Karen Cayes, 2K Creations
- Mary Dean, marydeangallery.com
- Amanda Edwards, Crystal Coast Art
- Michael & Marion Thorpe Ingram, Faerie Folk Finery
- Steve Karloski, Steve Karloski Sculpture
- Louise Lamm, Grandma Wez’ Cool Homemade Stuff
- Genevieve McKenna, Flames of Passion Glasswork
- Pat & Denny Murphy, Murphy Art Glass
- Vallyn Nguyen, vallynhair.com
- Sarah Owens, Tobacco-stick & Yard Art
- Susan Owens, susanowensstudio.com
- John Pelosi, Woodworking
- Donna Campbell Smith, donnacampbellsmith.net
- Cindy Snow & Tink Young, CinTinque
- Jamie Sunyak, Labrottie Creations
- Carolyn Zahnow, Shore Soap
See more details on these creators at garden-treasures.com/grand_opening/artists.
Attend free educational lectures and demonstrations:
10am — Tea Time: Home-grown and hand-made tea with Christine Parks
11am — Creating Camellias: The breeding and selection process with David Parks
1pm — Carnivorous Flora of NC: The fascinating lives of plants that bite with Mike Lowe
2pm — Breathtaking Shade Gardens: Textures, forms, foliage, and bloom seasons with Cheryl Kearns
3pm — Original Plants: Selecting new cultivars and their introduction to the trade with Pat McCracken
See full lecture details here.
Garden Treasures will be open from this April 20, 2019 forward through the Spring; then, will re-open for Fall planting. See their website, garden-treasures.com, for hours.
Come and help this new Wendell, NC business celebrate its opening, find plants for your yard, and support local artists, all in one day.
Ed. Note: To see more about the Garden Treasures plant breeding program, their sustainable practices, and background, read this previous article.