This weekly things-to-do listing may include in-person events in the North Carolina counties of Edgecombe, Franklin, Nash, Johnston, Wake, Wayne, Wilson, or beyond — unique coastal or mountain events are occasionally included.
Things to do may be rescheduled/delayed or locations changed. Contact an event’s organizer directly to confirm. Any online offerings (watch from home) events that may be included will be marked as online.
At public gatherings, follow state coronavirus/Covid-19 safety measures for the good of yourself and others: wear a mask, keep your hands clean, and let everyone enjoy their time out-and-about with a bit of personal space. When in doubt, stand six feet out.
Farm Credit Farmers Market: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, July 8, 9 & 10, 2021
The Farm Credit Farmers Market, which will be open Thursday (10am-5:30pm), Friday (10am-5:30pm), and Saturday (9am-2pm).
Located at 3114 Wayne Memorial Drive, Goldsboro, NC.
Follow the market for updates, changes to hours, and vendor information.
Franklin County Farmers Market: Friday, July 9, 2021 @ 9am-1pm
Come and pick up locally grown food from local farms, fresh eggs, and more. Check with market directly for any schedule changes related to weather and other factors.
The market is located in the parking lot at 137 Shannon Village, Louisburg, NC.
Follow the market for updates.
Popsicle In The Park: Friday, July 9, 2021 @ 10am
Held by the Town of Zebulon in a different Park on alternating Fridays. Kids can enjoy free popsicles, story time, and more. Dates and locations this summer:
- Friday, July 9, 2021 @ 10am: Little River Park, 1800 W Gannon Avenue
- Friday, July 23, 2021 @ 10am: Whitley Park, 601 N Wakefield Street
- Friday, August 6, 2021 @ 10am: Zebulon Community Park, 401 S Arendell Avenue
See these events and more via the Town’s Facebook Events page.
Whitakers Friday Market Days: Friday, July 9, 2020 @ 3-6pm
This community market will be open every Friday through October, with vendors offering homegrown/produce, homemade, local items, and (sometimes) hot foods.
The location is at 101 S White Street, Whitakers, NC — the corner of Hwy 301 (S White) and Pippen Street in the old Southern Bank Building.
For updates, Follow WRAP — Whitakers Revitalize and Preserve — at www.facebook.com/WRAPFORWHITAKERS.
Wake Forest Farmers Market: Saturday, July 10, 2021 @ 8am-noon
Weekly offerings from farms, artisans, and crafters at this year-round farmers’ market. Live music at the market!
Located at 235 S Taylor Street, Wake Forest, NC.
The Wake Forest Farmers Market website is www.wakeforestmarket.org. Updates may be found here.
Wilson Farmers & Artisan Market: Saturday, July 10, 2021 @ 8am-noon
Purchase from local vendors and pick up snacks or lunch from food truck(s) on site.
Held in the Vollis Simpson Whirligig Park, 301 Goldsboro Street S, Wilson, NC.
Find the Wilson Farmers & Artisan Market online at www.historicdowntownwilson.com/farmers-artisan-market and updates here.
Wendell Farmers Market: Saturday, July 10, 2021 @ 8am-noon
Check out vendors offering local produce and locally-made goods.
Located at Campen Street & Main Street, Wendell, NC.
Follow on Facebook for updates, vendor information, and special town events during market hours.
Nash County Farmers Market: Saturday, July 10, 2021 @ 8am-1pm
This farmers market encompasses two buildings and an outdoor areas, with lots of room for the wide variety of offerings. Shop for locally-grown produce, meats and seafood, homemade goods, home decor, crafts, furniture, plants, apparel, and more. Includes a food truck.
Held at 1006 Peachtree Street, Rocky Mount, NC.
The Nash County Farmers Market is *also* open Tuesdays @ 3-6pm (June, July, and August).
Follow the market, or visit nashcountync.gov/175/Farmers-Market.
Zebulon Farm Fresh Market: Saturday, July 10, 2021 @ 9am-1pm
Head downtown for this market offering a wide variety of vendors selling handmade/homemade items and local farm produce.
Held at 116 N Arendell Avenue, Zebulon, NC.
See latest updates here.
The Farm Market at Oak Ridge Farms: Saturday, July 10, 2021 @ 9am-1pm
On-farm market featuring farm goods and vendors from local businesses, artisans, and crafters. Now open *every* Saturday.
Held at Oak Ridge Farms, 92 Thomas Arnold Road, Zebulon, NC (near Rocky Cross/Pilot areas).
Follow Oak Ridge Farms for market details/updates.
Clayton Farm and Community Market: Saturday, July 10, 2021 @ 9am-1pm
Farm goods, handcrafted items, artwork, and more as the market’s regular season resumes.
Held at Horne Square, 348 E Main Street, Clayton, NC.
Follow updates at www.facebook.com/CFCMNC.
Local Author Book Reading: Saturday, July 10, 2021 @ 10am-2pm
Free event with local author Mary Susan Heath. Presented by the Tobacco Farm Life Museum, this event is part of the “Stepping into the Past Saturday Series” and is included with regular museum admission. The author will be selling copies of her book, Legs Astride the World, and at 1pm will give a reading from the book.
The museum is located at 709 N Church Street, Kenly, NC (near Wilson/Johnston county line).
See Stepping into the Past details at www.tobaccofarmlifemuseum.org.
- Friday Nights on the Tar Summer Concert: Friday, July 16, 2021 @ 6:30pm — This summer series invites the public to enjoy free concerts downtown. Food trucks will be by the event site. Held in the Amphitheater at 116 N Main Street, Louisburg, NC. See this and other Town of Louisburg events here.
- Documentary Screening of Wilmington on Fire: Friday, July 16, 2021 @ 6:45pm — About the documentary: “The Wilmington Massacre of 1898 is the only coup d’état to have taken place in the US, launched by white supremacists who targeted the African American community of Wilmington, NC, leaving many dead and others fleeing their homes.” Screening held at the ACE Center, 7027 Knightdale Blvd, Knightdale, NC. See details here.
- 1st Annual Cars on Main: Saturday, July 17, 2021 @ 9am-3pm — Free car show in downtown Kenly, NC. Food trucks, radio broadcast onsite (live), face painting, and more. Organized by Wheeler Dealer NC. See event flyer here.
- Artist Reception and Book Signing: Saturday, July 17, 2021 @ 11am-2pm — All are welcome for this Artist of the Month event with Donna Campbell Smith. An artist and author, Smith will be signing her new novel, My Neighbors from the Woods. Her featured art is “a collection of mixed media pieces which she created while in Covid-19 Shut-Down.” Held at the Franklin County Arts Council’s Gallery on the Hill, 99 South Bickett Blvd, Louisburg, NC. See more information here and in this article.
To request inclusion of a free or low-fee event, email details to the Editor. Sponsor names and logos are not included in Things To Do in NC When You’re Bored listings. Events are added at the editor’s discretion.
Event organizers: News site display advertising is available month-to-month.
While most listed events are free to enter, ticketed or fee-for-entry events may be included and its fee/price noted.
Event information may be gathered from various sources. While attempts are made to verify data, for most events contact details are included. If you’re planning to attend an event, use contact information or event links to confirm, check for updates or changes, or verify space is available. These events are publicized by The Grey Area News, but are not events overseen by the news site nor staff.
Listed are mostly in-person events; however, online/zoom/YouTube events may be included and will be identified as online. If unsure whether to go to a location or login, use the event’s link provided and contact the organization/person directly responsible for that event.
Why are the day, date, and year included, repetitively, under each dated heading? The better for readers like you to cut-and-paste complete event information and share with others… though sharing of this article’s link is encouraged, so that readers may see all listed events.