Many things to do in North Carolina this weekend. While most events listed are in the Five County Stadium area and surrounding towns. a few are elsewhere in the state.
What’s missing? Let the editor know.
Note that multi-day events are listed under the first date.
Friday, June 24, 2016
Preschool Storytime (two locations)
On Friday, June 24, 2016, 10:30-11am, kids ages 3-5 (with their caregivers) may participate in “an interactive program that incorporates age appropriate books, songs, and movement to nurture pre-reading skills.” This storytime is at Wendell Community Library, 207 S Hollybrook Road, Wendell NC. This event is also available, same date and time, at the Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, Zebulon NC.
Summer Film Series at the NC Museum of Art
Come and watch Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) in the museum park theater. The film is showing June 24, 2016, starting at 9pm. Tickets are $6 for non-members; free for NCMA members, but tickets are still required for entry. The address is 2110 Blue Ridge Road, Raleigh NC. More information on their summer film/entertainment is online here.
2016 Downtown Sundown Concert Series
Wilmington’s summer concert series returns for its 11th season. The Downtown Sundown Concert Series offers a free concert June 24, 2016, 6-10pm, featuring Satisfaction. Shows are held in the parking lot located at the corner of Water and Princess, Wilmington NC. For more information, visit this site.
Saturday, June 25, 2016
Blueberry Music Festival
Vollmer Farm’s festival returns for its second year. The festival offers “a day of fun and celebration” including music, Back Forty play, cooking classes, pie eating contests, food trucks, beer and wine, and the joy of Farmer Russ’ 50th birthday. The Blueberry Music Festival is June 25, 2016, 2-9pm, at Vollmer Farm, 677 NC 98 Hwy E, Bunn NC. Tickets are $15 at the Back Forty welcome center, and benefit the farm! More online at www.vollmerfarm.com/blueberry-music-festival.html. (Article)
Bring the family June 25, 2016, and participate in “an interactive program with books, songs, and movement to nurture pre-reading skills.” Designed for ages birth to 5 years old, this storytime is 10:30-11am at the East Regional Library, 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale NC.
Future Gardeners: Trash to Treasure: Compost
This children’s workshop teaches how breaking down organic material makes great fertilizer for plants. Kids participating may make a starter kit to take home. Held at Logan Trading Company, 707 Semart Drive, Raleigh NC. There is a $5 fee per child for this June 25, 2016 workshop, 9-10am. Geared toward ages 4-10; parent or guardian must be present. See
logantrd.com/events for more information on this and other workshops.
A Beginner’s Guide to Fishing
Have you ever wanted to go fishing but didn’t know quite how to begin? This program on June 25, 2016, starts at 10am, and will cover everything from fishing regulations, the types of fish caught in the area, tackle, bait and basic fishing knots. Meet at the park’s visitor center, Goose Creek State Park, 2190 Camp Leach Road, Washington NC. More information is online at www.ncparks.gov/goose-creek-state-park.
Come join a park naturalist for a turtle safari looking for river turtles on June 25, 2016, 10am. Dress properly for a hike along the Eno River to Bobbit Hole and identify turtles along the way. This program is geared toward young adventurers but all ages are welcome. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Come to Eno River State Park, 6101 Cole Mill Road, Durham NC. More information at www.ncparks.gov/eno-river-state-park.
Saturday Farmers Markets and Farm Stores
- Knightdale Farmers Market — A new theme each week! The food truck onsite from 11am-2pm. The market is at Knightdale Station, 810 S Main Street, Knightdale NC. It is open Saturdays, 10am-2pm. Contact the market manager via email with questions. (Article)
- Ray Family Farms — This farm store is open Saturdays from 10am-4pm. (They also have Friday hours.) The farm is located at 6913 Pearces Rd, Louisburg NC — just outside Bunn NC. For more information, visit rayfamilyfarms.com.
- Rocky Mount Farmers Market— This Saturday Market is held at 1006 Peachtree Street, Rocky Mount NC, 8am-1pm. Call 252.407.7920 or email with questions.
- Vollmer Farm Market — The farm store is open Saturday 10am-7pm (same hours Friday and Sunday). The farm is located at 677 NC 98 Hwy E, Bunn NC. More online at vollmerfarm.com.
- Wendell Farmers Market — The Wendell Farmers’ Market is open, 8am to noon. The market is located at 3700 Wendell Blvd, Wendell NC (Wake County). The market accepts EBT, debit and credit cards. For more information, email the market Director, Cathrine Evans.
- Wendell Yellow Dog Farm Roadside Produce Stand — Located at 1705 Eagle Road Road in Wendell NC, this farm stand’s opening day is June 4, 2016, and is open each Saturday from 9am until noon. (Article)
- Wilson Farmers Market — The Saturday Market is held at the Wilson County Fairgrounds, Hwy 301, Wilson NC, and is open Saturdays, 7:30am-noon. Call 252.237.0111.
- Wrenn’s Farm — The farm store is open daily, with Saturday hours 8am-6pm. The farm address is Zebulon NC; they are close to Middlesex NC. Updates on their Facebook page.
- Zebulon Farm Fresh Market — Held on the grounds of the Zebulon Municipal Complex, 1003 N Arendell Avenue, Zebulon NC, this market is open Saturdays, 9am-1pm. For more details, contact Market Manager Maurine Brown at 919.823.0432 or email.
Sunday, June 26, 2016
Summer Concert with The Moonlight Swing Band
Summer concerts are free at the Oliver Nestus Freeman Roundhouse Museum, located at 1202 Nash Street E, Wilson NC. For more information, visit the museum’s website.
It’s that time of year! Check out local baseball games on:
(Both above baseball links redirect to the team pages on the MiLB.com (Minor League Baseball) website.
- Wilson Tobs — www.wilsontobs.com
- Fayetteville SwampDogs — goswampdogs.com
- Hickory Crawdads — www.hickorycrawdads.com
Pickin’ in the Plaza: Big Fat Gap (June 30, 2016)
Pickin’ In The Plaza is back with live, free bluegrass music featuring all local NC bands. Come listen to Bluegrass music and enjoy local food trucks and local beer. This free music event runs 5:30-10pm, and is held at City Plaza, 400 Fayetteville Street, Raleigh NC. More information online at pickinintheplaza.com.
Fun Fourth Festival (July 3-4, 2016)
An Independence Day celebration planned in the downtown National Register Historic District, Greensboro NC. The festival is jam-packed with fun, lively and engaging entertainment for the young and the young at heart. More information online at funfourthfestival.com.
Third Annual July 4th Celebration (July 4, 2016)
Organized by the Knightdale Parks and Rec Department, this free July 4th Celebration runs from 5pm until Fireworks (approximately 9:15pm) at Knightdale Station Park, 810 N First Avenue, Knightdale NC. Food trucks, vendors and kids activities will be featured, along with a performance by The Embers. Shuttles will be available and will start running at 4pm. More information, including food trucks and vendors, may be found on the town website.
Carolina Mudcats for America Fireworks Series
The Mudcats will have fireworks on July 4, 2016, after their game against Salem. There will also be fireworks on July 1, 2, & 3 after their games against Lynchburg. At the Five County Stadium, 1501 NC-39, in Zebulon NC.
Come celebrate Independence Day with the Mudcats and the club’s annual Mudcats for America series. The best fireworks show in Eastern North Carolina follows the game.
Stay tuned for more from Eastern North Carolina!