By Kay Whatley, Editor
The Zebulon Farm Fresh Market (ZFFM) plans special days alongside its regular market vendors. On Saturday, August 12, 2017, head to the market for Watermelon day. Join contests, pick up local goodies, and maybe walk away with a free watermelon.
Watermelon Day contests include the largest watermelon of the season and a seed spitting contest.
In addition to the regular vendors, the Poe Center will be on hand with information on Summer Safety. Music will be provided by Chef Hayworth. Market vendors change week-to-week, but may include some of these vendors:
- Baxter’s Bees
- Bayleaf Sings & Wonders, LLC
- Brantley’s Home Nursery
- Christine’s Vinyl Creations
- Clay Creations and Gifts
- Conveniently Yours
- Erin’s Aprons
- Farmers FoodShare (Zebulon UMC)
- Heavenly Hope Candles
- Martha’s Kitchen
- Mrs. J’s Cookies
- Purified Auras
- Rob’s Fresh Produce
- Simple Soap and Balm
- Sprout’s Gifts and Botanicals
Personal watermelons will be given away to the first 300 visitors to the market. Free watermelons are handed out until they are gone, so getting to the market early may be a good idea.
Come and check out watermelons exploding with flavor, or just exploding! At some point in the day, market visitors can watch an Imploding Watermelon.
While at the market, be sure to enter their drawing for a $25 basket of produce. Four names will be drawn on August 12.
ZFFM is open Saturdays from 9am to 1pm. See market information, vendors, and updates, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/zebulonfarmfreshmarket.
Ed. Note: The Town of Zebulon is currently redesigning its website and ZFFM data does not seem to be re-posted yet. Farm product vendors J&K Veggies, Fat Radish Farm, and Oak Ridge Farms are not expected at the market on August 12.
Upcoming Market Dates
The market continues through September, with special events late in the year. All dates are Saturdays, with most focused on a theme of the day.
- August 19, 2017 — Tranquility Day, which may include free chair massages, Yoga, music by Dry Bread Road, and more.
- August 26, 2017 — Back To School, with a supplies drive and fundraiser.
- September 2, 2017 — Hot Peppers, with a hot pepper eating contest, free chair massages, and music by Russ James.
- September 9, 2017 — Honey Bee Day, with honey and supplies, and a visiting Chef cookin’ with honey.
- September 16, 2017 — Hispanic Market Day, with free walking tacos, entertainment, and more.
- September 23, 2017 — Apples, with an apple tasting (different varieties), the Brown Bag Bagel food truck, an apple recipe contest, and more.
- September 30, 2017 — Church Choir Appreciation Day, with Cousins Maine Lobster Food Truck.
The market hosts a special Pig Pickin’ event on October 7, 2017, which is the market closing day.
On November 18, 2017, a special Holiday Market offers produce for family gatherings, gifts for “Black Friday” type shopping, dancers, worship, a food truck, and much more.