Content is organized for North Carolina alongside unusual, US, and world news. Event listings — Things to Do in NC When You’re Bored” — are localized for each area. The Grey Area is an online “local and national unusual news” newspaper published in the US.
Our online articles focus on local news and unusual national stories. Features include:
- Shades of Grey (What Do You Think?)
- Things to Do in NC When You’re Bored
- Things We Did in NC When We Were Bored
- Word of the Issue
- Translation of the Issue
- Quote of the Issue
- The Good News…The Bad News
- A Little Local History
- Chuckle of the Issue
- The Strange-ness
- Local Heroes, Local History
- … plus special features appropriate to each timeframe
We welcome article suggestions and event submissions from readers.
Online articles are added to the website all week long. Some special The Grey Area News articles are published every-other Friday.
From 2011 through 2016, a printed publication was distributed free at local doctor’s offices, dental practices, coffee shops, stores, salons, restaurants, auto shops, and other local establishments where patrons may sit or wait a while. We published and distributed up to17,000 copies of each issue, into about 800 locations.
In 2013, distribution consists of:
- Edition A (apx 5,000) – Bunn, Knightdale, Wendell and Zebulon
- Edition B (apx 12,000) – Nashville, Rocky Mount, Tarboro, Sharpsburg and Wilson
The Eastern NC printed newspaper moved online in February 2016, following one final “read us online” issue.