North Carolina farms are offering tours, u-pick for flowers and fruit, farm stands and special events for late spring. There are a variety of agritourism activities to choose from including Memorial Day weekend festivals, blueberry, blackberry and flower picking, farm camps for children and workshops for adults. Following is a selection of experiences offered at North Carolina farms through July 4th.
Visitors are encouraged to download the Visit NC Farms app to discover more than 1,200 destinations and farms nearby and across the state. You can also search for local and regional agritourism locations at gottobenc.com. Verify event dates, ticket requirements and hours of operation before going.
At public gatherings, follow state coronavirus/Covid-19 safety measures for the good of yourself and others: wear a mask, keep your hands clean, and let everyone enjoy their time out-and-about with a bit of personal space. When in doubt, stand six feet out.
- Twiddle Dee Farm of Clinton, NC is always open for farm members. Veggies and cut flowers from the garden are available in the retail shop. Call us to let the farm know you are coming.
- The Inn on Turner in Beaufort offers Field to Fork menus 3 times each week. Supporting fresh, local and sustainable by partnering with our Carteret County family farms, pastures and fishermen.
- Carteret Local Food Network’s Veggie Van Mobile Farmers Market is out and about every Wednesday and Thursday. Visit the network’s website for a schedule.
- Our Local Farm of Smithfield will be offering Reservation-Only Farm Tours Monday-Saturday, Kids Farm School, and Adult Classes. Farm School and Adult Classes will be held in June 2021.
- Millstone Creek Orchards of Ramsuer has its barn, playground, market and picnic area open. It will also host an Orchard Birthday Bash Memorial Day Weekend, and an outdoor concert series on June 19, 2021.
- Brookhaven Mill Farm has a petting zoo, farm store, snack shack and more for visitors. The farm will host a Community Garden Planting and Lavender Harvest later this spring.
- Pick Your Own Bouquet at Flint Rock Farm of Cameron. Call to schedule an appointment, likely beginning late June-early summer.
- Prodigal Farm of Rougemont offers small group and private tours Fridays-Sundays and by special appointment.
- Visit TRIPLE BBB VINEYARD of Shelby for personal picnic areas June 1, 2021 through the summer and Fall. Area is located around a Muscadine vineyard.
- Sunshine Lavender Farm’s June Bloom will be Saturdays, June 5 and June 12, 2021. Visit for a farm tour, picnic, crafting with fresh lavender, paint a barn quilt square or create a glass blown hummingbird feeder with a master artist. Reserve timed tickets. Located in Hurdle Mills.
- Cut your own Flowers at Fernrock Farm in Orange County. Stroll through beds of blooms and cut Southern favorites. Make a reservation at fernrockfarm.square.site. Openings will be available Thursdays-Saturdays.
- Blackberry Ridge Farm in Huntersville is having a July Jamboree with food truck, local beer, farm tour, pick-your-own flowers, wild blackberry picking, local vendor market and fireworks.
- Make an appointment for blackberry picking, farm tours and flower picking at McLawland Farms LLC in Charlotte.
- Jireh Family Farm in Durham will be hosting outdoor summer farm camps for kids. Camps are for children 5-12 years old. Dates begin June 7, 2021.
- Check out Old Mill Farm Durham’s Fridays at the farm with live music, animal encounters and beer and wine for sale. Also check out the Father’s Day event June 19 and summer camp for kids starting June 14, 2021.
- SandyCreek Farm of Lexington is having its annual Blueberry Fest. Visit on June 26, 2021, 10am-4pm, for u-pick, music, food, farm store and greenhouse.
- The ice cream shop at Willow Oak Farms in Fuquay-Varina is open with summer specials. The farm will be having a sunflower festival with admission to its sunflower fields, summer produce and u-pick gardens.
- Dogwood Farms Belews Creek of Belews Creek is planning to open June 26, 2021 for its u-pick flower festival with vendors and concessions available. The farm will also host a Freedom Flower Festival July 3 and 4, 2021.
- Hidden River Farm of Angier will be open starting the second week of June on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays for u-pick organic grown veggies and fruits.
- CATHIS Farm of Lillington will have Sunflower Days. Visit July 2, 2021 for a sunflower season kick-off party with live local music and local breweries.
- Contact Terraceridge Farm, LLC of Carthage to schedule farm tours by appointment and classes by request. Check the website for educational workshops.
- Firefly Farm of Hillsborough will have u-pick flower sessions this summer. Visit the website to book your appointment.
- Rowan County’s Arts & Ag Farm Tour will be held Saturday, June 5, 2021. This self-guided tour allows families to experience homegrown and handmade experiences in Rowan County.
- Trosly Farm of Elk Park will host its Weekly Farm Shop, open Thursday-Saturday, 10am-4pm.
- The Orchard at Altapass of Spruce Pine will open its General Store open Wednesday-Sunday starting in June 2021. The farm will have live traditional music on the weekend.
- Visit Sandy Mush Herb Nursery of Leicester for self-guided strolls through the greenhouses and gardens Thursdays-Saturdays, 9am-5pm.
- Piccione Vineyards of Ronda will have food trucks and live music every Saturday and Sunday.
- Apple Hill Farm of Banner Elk hosts a variety of events this summer. Daily farm tours are available by reservation only. June 5, 2021 is Alpaca Sheering Day. The farm will also host a painting class and agritourism workshop. Visit website for information and reservations.
- Justus Orchard in Hendersonville offers pick your own thorn-less blackberries starting in early July 2021. The orchard’s apple house bakery will be opening on weekends in early July also.
- Book your farm tour at Cherry Mountain Farm in Rutherfordton to visit the Angora goats, livestock guardian dogs and Kunekune pigs. The farm will have a sunflower field in bloom in July 2021 for picture taking.
Source: Annie Baggett, NCDA&CS