Compiled by Kay Whatley, Editor
Libraries are more than just books. Libraries frequently hold events. During October, Fall and Halloween events give kids an opportunity to play in addition to checking out books. Below are events scheduled in Garner, Knightdale, Nashville, and Rocky Mount, North Carolina.
While we’ve made our best efforts to include dates, rescheduling can happen. It is best to check the event source via links provided, or contact a library directly, before traveling to an event.
Southeast Regional Library — Garner, NC
There will be Halloween-ish events for children and teens.
For Grades 3-5, weekly “adventure” activities are planned. Sign up for each event may be found via the library’s online calendar. Dates:
- On Halloween, Thursday, October 31, 2019, 4:30-5:30pm, bring the kids for “History of Monsters” including a craft where they may create a monster, a la Dr. Frankenstein, to take home.
- On Thursday, October 24, 2019, 4:30-5:30pm, kids can come and enjoy “Spooky Stories that Glow in the Dark” with scary tales and an opportunity to make a glow-in-the-dark haunted house to take home.
- Semi-related to Halloween, on Thursday, October 17, 2019, 4:30-5:30pm, bring the kids for “Candy Science” and a chance to experience edible playdough, cookie excavations, and more. Science and treats… sounds like a fun event!
Kindergarteners through 5th Graders are invited to the super special “Halloween Hoopla” with spooky stories, creepy crafts, and treats. Get the kids to this party at the library on Friday, October 25, 2019, 2-3pm.
For teens in Grades 6-10, on Monday, October 14, 2019, 7-8pm, the library is holding a “Hogwarts’ Halloween” with house sorting, games, snacks, and activities. Teens are and encouraged to dress as their favorite Hogwarts character. Sign-up in advance via the library’s online calendar.
There is also a unique event entitled, “Tales of Murder and Redemption: Crime Scenes,” that the library has planned for Sunday, October 6, 2019, 2-3pm. This event features “Professor Janie Slaughter with Wake Tech Criminal Justice” who will provide a walk-through of a crime scene investigation and forensics. Registration is requested and sign-up may be done via the library’s online calendar.
Southeast Regional Library is located at 908 7th Avenue, Garner, NC.
The Southeast Regional Library, part of the Wake County system, has information and their event calendar online at www.wakegov.com/libraries/locations/ser. For events requiring registration, a “Sign Up” button will appear next to each event’s description.
East Regional Library — Knightdale, NC
There are story time events for young children and families to choose from for Halloween reading fun.
Halloween Hoot Baby Storytime:
- Tuesday, October 29, 2019 @ 11:30am
- Wednesday, October 30, 2019 @ 11:30am
Halloween Hoot Toddler Storytime:
- Friday, October 25, 2019 @ 9:30am and 10:30am
- Tuesday, October 29, 2019 @ 9:30am and 10:30am
- Wednesday, October 30, 2019 @ 9:30am and 10:30am
Halloween Hoot Preschool Storytime:
- Monday, October 28, 2019 @ 9:30am and 10:30am
- Thursday, October 31, 2019 @ 9:30am and 10:30am
Halloween Hoot Family Storytime:
- Saturday, October 26, 2019 @ 9:30am
- Wednesday, October 30, 2019 @ 7pm
- Thursday, October 31, 2019 @ 11:30am
In addition to story times, bring the kids for the “Halloween Hoopla” on Saturday, October 26, 2019 @ 3-4:30pm. This Halloween-themed party is designed for school age children. Drop-in for games, craft, and other fun. There will be a trick-or-treat parade starting at 4:15pm and costumes are welcome, even encouraged. Call 919.217.5300 for more information.
The East Regional Library address is 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale, NC.
This Knightdale library is part of the Wake County Public Libraries system. East Regional Library information may be found at www.wakegov.com/libraries/locations/erl, including their events.
Harold D. Cooley Library — Nashville, NC
Each year the library hosts trick-or-treating and fun “Fall Fest.” This year, Fall Fest will be on Halloween, Thursday, October 31, 2019, 4-5:30pm. The Fall Fest will have food and non-food prizes available at different station in support of the Teal Pumpkin Project, which raises awreness of food allergies during the Halloween season.
After Fall Fest, families can trick-or-treat in the Historic District and then return to the library for an outdoor movie showing (Hocus Pocus).
The HD Cooley Library is located at 114 W Church Street, Nashville, NC.
Prior to Fall Fest, two of the Cooley Library October story time events will have spooky themes:
- Monday, October 21, 2019 @ 10:30-11am — Spiders and Bats
- Monday, October 28, 2019 @ 10:30-11am — Halloween and Monsters
Library information and news is on the town website here.
Event updates may be shared via the library’s Facebook page.
Braswell Memorial Library — Rocky Mount, NC
Braswell is holding a children’s program “BOO BASH” on Tuesday, October 29, 2019 @ 6-7pm in several areas of the library. There will be “yummy treats, fun games and a special spooky story time.”
Braswell Memorial Library is located at 727 N Grace Street, Rocky Mount, NC.
Visit their website, braswell-library.libguides.com, for more information and events.
Ed. Note: Check with your local library for special events, as some libraries may not post Halloween-related events until October begins.
This article originally published September 14, 2019. Updated September 18.