Released by Tameka Kenan-Norman
The city of Rocky Mount’s Fire Department held an Employee Recognition Ceremony recently. The department is proud of all of its current and past employees and wanted to take the opportunity to formally recognize members who have most recently achieved milestones in their careers.
The ceremony also included those recognized for various contributions which had a positive impact on the community and organization.
During the ceremony, Fire Chief Mike Varnell acknowledged his excitement about where the department is, but more importantly where the organization is going.
“All of the people recognized in the ceremony are a vital part of that transition, and through their continued hard work and dedication, the organization will continue to prosper and move forward,” said Varnell.
Varnell also recognized the support family members provide for the department’s firefighters. Below is a list of those recognized, along with the purpose of their recognition.
Retirements (since June 1, 2015)
- Retired Fire Captain Alan W. Booth
- Retired Fire Captain Bobby M. Connie
- Retired Battalion Chief / Safety & Training Jamey B. Moss
- Retired Fire Marshal Robbie Pate
- Retired Fire Engineer Bobby W. Wilson
Appointment / Promotions
- Fire Marshal Mark A. Rogerson
- Battalion Chief / Operations Darvin Moore
- Fire Captain Chad Pridgen
- Fire Captain John Barnhill
- Fire Captain Eddie Harris
- Fire Captain Randy Lanham
- Fire Captain Brad Price
- Fire Captain Rod Smith
- Deputy Fire Marshal Brian West
- Fire Engineer Kevin Boulden
- Fire Engineer Andrew Brown
- Fire Engineer Dustin Joyner
- Fire Engineer Rance Manning
- Fire Engineer Jonathan Whitley
- Fire Engineer Maurice Woodley
- Senior Firefighter Tyler Jenkins
- Senior Firefighter Damian Whitley
- Senior Firefighter Justin Cannon
- Senior Firefighter Dereck Carpenter
- Senior Firefighter Earl Yarborough
EMS – Life-Saving Awards
- “B” Shift / Engine 4
- Fire Captain Mike Dawson
- Fire Engineer John Hughes
- Firefighter Jason Lanier
- Firefighter Danny Witherington, Jr.
Employee of the Year Awards
- Staff Employee of the Year – Jonathan Malinowski
- Officer of the Year–Battalion Chief / Operations Mike Roupp
- Firefighter of the Year –Fire Engineer Andrew Brown