Rocky Mount NC Begins Assessment of Damaged Businesses and Homes

Source: City Of Rocky Mount NC.
Source: City Of Rocky Mount NC.

Residents Should Call Inspections before Entering the Home or Turning on Electricity

By Tameka Kenan-Norman, City of Rocky Mount

While there is still some elevated flooding and closed streets as a result of Hurricane Matthew, the city of Rocky Mount is starting recovery efforts to get residents back in their homes safely. The state of NC has published a number for possible disaster assistance. Residents are encouraged to register with FEMA by calling 1.800.621.3362, from 7am to 11pm. FEMA officials are available seven days a week.

As a part of recovery, residents are also encouraged to call the city’s Inspections Office at 252.972.1110 if water entered the home or commercial property to determine whether or not a permit is required. In some cases, structural damage may require a building permit, and an electrical permit may be necessary for electrical repairs. A permit is not necessary to cut or remove a tree.

“When structures are flooded above the base floor level, water can impact the electrical system, insulation, ductwork, heating and air systems and may cause mold to be generated from the moisture,” says Justin Floyd, inspections supervisor.

If water entered the home, contact Inspections before turning on the electricity. Once contacted, inspectors will visit area homes and businesses to make an assessment. Already underway are windshield surveys. These observations from employee vehicles allow staff to make damage assessments. Area businesses were surveyed Monday and Tuesday.

Today, October 12, 2016, windshield surveys of businesses and homes will be completed in Gold Rock and Southeast Rocky Mount.

“Our goal is to help you recover from the damage as soon as possible and get you back into your location safely,” says Floyd.

The city also reminds residents to be mindful of scammers posing as contractors. According to Floyd, a licensed general contractor is only necessary if work is $30,000 or more. To determine the validity of all contractors, contact the Better Business Bureau or the NC General Contractors Office.

The city of Rocky Mount, North Carolina, government website is

TGA Banner Ad
About Kay Whatley 2307 Articles
Kay Whatley serves as Editor and Reporter with The Grey Area News. Kay is a published author with over 20 years of experience in the publishing industry. Kay Whatley is wife to Frank Whatley, founder of The Grey Area™ newspaper and The Grey Area News online news website.