Many things to do in North Carolina this weekend. While most events listed are in the Five County Stadium area and surrounding towns, some events are in other parts of the state.
What’s missing? Let the editor know.
Note that multi-day events are listed under the first date.
Friday, July 29, 2016
Preschool Storytime (July 29 @ 10:30-11am)
Kids ages 3-5 (with their caregivers) may participate in “an interactive program that incorporates age appropriate books, songs, and movement to nurture pre-reading skills.” This storytime is at Wendell Community Library, 207 S Hollybrook Road, Wendell NC.
This event is also available, same date and time, at the Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, Zebulon NC.
2016 Downtown Sundown Concert Series (July 29 @ 6-10pm)
For this Downtown Sundown concert, enjoy the Dave Matthews Tribute Band. The Downtown Sundown Concert Series offers a free concert. Shows are held in the parking lot located at the corner of Water and Princess, Wilmington NC. For more information, visit this site.
17th Annual Real to Reel International Film Festival
The Cleveland County Arts Council is holding this festival July 27-30, 2016. The mission of the Real to Reel International Film Festival is to offer a forum for independent film, video, and multi-media artists from around the world to showcase their talents and expose the works of these artists to our region. Held at the Joy Performance Center, 202 S Railroad Avenue, Kings Mountain NC, films from around the world are shown in a renovated classic theater. Visit www.ccartscouncil.org/realtoreel or call 704.484.2787 for information.
Saturday, July 30, 2016
ABC Craft & Learn (July 30 @ 10:30-11:30am)
Children ages 3-5 and their caregivers may participate in “an interactive program with an alphabet craft to nurture pre-reading skills through writing and play and to give opportunity to develop fine motor skills children require to start school.” This is a free event, and no Registration is required. It is held at the Zebulon Community Library, 1000 Dogwood Drive, in Zebulon NC. For more information, contact Margaret at 919.404.3610.
This event is also available, same date and time, at the Wendell Community Library, 207 S Hollybrook Road, Wendell NC.
Family Storytime (July 30 @ 10:30-11am)
Bring the family and participate in “an interactive program with books, songs, and movement to nurture pre-reading skills.” Designed for ages birth to 5 years old, this storytime is at the East Regional Library, 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale NC.
Family Movie Night at Joyner Park (July 30 @ 8:30pm)
The Wake Forest Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Department presents Family Movie Nights at Joyner Park. Films are projected on a 26-foot inflatable movie screen in the park’s amphitheater. There will be food vendors on-site. Movies are free and open to the public. Bring a blanket and/or chairs for your comfort. Pets, smoking, and alcohol are not allowed.
Saturday Farmers Markets and Farm Stores
- Deans Farm Market — Fresh produce from the farm, plus kids activities, 8am-2pm. Located at 4231 NC Highway 42 W, in Wilson, NC. More info, call 252.237.0967.
- Knightdale Farmers Market — A new theme each week! The food truck onsite from 11am-2pm. The market is at Knightdale Station, 810 S Main Street, Knightdale NC. It is open Saturdays, 10am-2pm. Contact the market manager via email with questions. (Article) **July 30: Market Olympics**
- Ray Family Farms — This farm store is open Saturdays from 10am-4pm. (They also have Friday hours.) The farm is located at 6913 Pearces Rd, Louisburg NC — just outside Bunn NC. For more information, visit rayfamilyfarms.com.
- Rocky Mount Farmers Market— This Saturday Market is held at 1006 Peachtree Street, Rocky Mount NC, 8am-1pm. Call 252.407.7920 or email with questions.
- Vollmer Farm Market — The farm store is open Saturday 10am-7pm (same hours Friday and Sunday). The farm is located at 677 NC 98 Hwy E, Bunn NC. More online at vollmerfarm.com.
- Wendell Farmers Market — The Wendell Farmers’ Market is open, 8am to noon. The market is located at 3700 Wendell Blvd, Wendell NC (Wake County). The market accepts EBT, debit and credit cards. For more information, email the market Director, Cathrine Evans.
- Wendell Yellow Dog Farm Roadside Produce Stand — Located at 1705 Eagle Road Road in Wendell NC, this farm stand’s opening day is June 4, 2016, and is open each Saturday from 9am until noon. (Article)
- Wilson Farmers Market — The Saturday Market is held at the Wilson County Fairgrounds, Hwy 301, Wilson NC, and is open Saturdays, 7:30am-noon. Call 252.237.0111.
- Wrenn’s Farm — The farm store is open daily, with Saturday hours 8am-6pm. The farm address is Zebulon NC; they are close to Middlesex NC. Updates on their Facebook page.
- Zebulon Farm Fresh Market — Held on the grounds of the Zebulon Municipal Complex, 1003 N Arendell Avenue, Zebulon NC, this market is open Saturdays, 9am-1pm. For more details, contact Market Manager Maurine Brown at 919.823.0432 or email. **July 30: Live music by Acoustic Grace this week, plus free sprite melons by Rob’s Fresh Produce (first 300 customers), and a tomato recipe contest.**
Sunday, July 31, 2016
Movie at Koi Pond (July 31 @ 8:45pm)
Following music by Marty Benson (6-8pm), the Movie on the Lawn showing around 8:45pm is The Neverending Story at the Koi Pond Brewing Company, 1107 Falls Road, Rocky Mount NC. See www.koipondbrewing.com.
Teen Harry Potter Party (July 31 @ 3-4pm)
This teen event is a celebration of Harry Potter. Enter for a chance to checkout “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child,” make a wand, and try your hand at other wizarding challenges. For grades 6-10. This event is at multiple libraries; be sure to register in advance (required) at the desired library.
- Cameron Village Regional Library
- North Regional Library
- Event is Full
- West Regional Library (event full)
- East Regional Library
- Eva Perry Regional Library (event full)
- Southeast Regional Library
- Northeast Regional Library
It’s that time of year! Check for local baseball games on:
(Both above baseball links redirect to the team pages on the MiLB.com (Minor League Baseball) website.
- Wilson Tobs — www.wilsontobs.com
- Fayetteville SwampDogs — goswampdogs.com
- Hickory Crawdads — www.hickorycrawdads.com
First Fridays on the Lawn in Wilson NC
Held each month on the first Friday, the concerts are on the Wilson County Library lawn, 249 Nash Street NW, in Wilson NC. The next event coming up August 5, 2016, 6-9pm.
Stay tuned for more from Eastern North Carolina!