Whether Adopting or Not, Come and See Them for Yourself
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) will be conducting a Wild Horse and Burro Adoption event in the Clemson, South Carolina area on September 23-24, 2016.
Adoption will be held at Clemson University, T. Ed Garrison Livestock Arena, 1101 W Queen Street, Pendleton SC.
People interested in adoption need to complete an application and be accepted. Limitations for horse or burro adoptions include:
- Applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
- Applicant must have access to a corral and shelter that meets the following criteria:
- Corral – at least 400 sq feet per animal (20×20), made from metal pipe or 2×6 planks, at least 5 ft high for yearlings and burros, 6 ft high for horses 2 yrs and older. Corral MUST be directly attached to a shelter.
- Shelter – at least 144 sq feet per animal (12×12), with at least 3 sides and a roof. Shelters can be stalls with direct outside access to corral, run in sheds, etc.
- Applicant must use a covered stock trailer, with a solid top, swinging rear gate, and enough room inside for the animal(s) to turn around. BLM will not load divided two-horse or drop-ramp trailers.
- Applicant must draw their corral and shelter, and a map to the location where the animal will be kept, and submit the application to BLM for approval.
The applications and more information are available from the Wild Horse and Burro Adoption Program website at www.adoptahorse.blm.gov, or call 1.866.4MUSTANGS.
The event schedule is:
- Friday Preview: 8am-noon
- Friday Adoption: noon-7pm
- Saturday Adoption: 8am-7pm
The contact for the Pendleton SC event is Marty Neugebauer (601.977.5400).
Is this South Carolina event too far from you? Check out the full 2016 list of Wild Horse and Burro events at www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/whbprogram/adoption_program/schedule.html .