Contributed by Joetta L. Pittman, Braswell-Library.org
July 1st Tuesday
The July 5, 2016, workshop on Cybersecurity for Small Businesses covered many important points. It’s amazing what we don’t do to protect our business online!
Here is a small sample of what we learned. Garth Wermter’s top 10 cybersecurity priorities for any business, with the first 5 being must-haves and 6-10 being things to work on after 1-5 are verified:
- 1. Create and Communicate Policies to Employees
- Passwords (create a password algorithm)
- Patching (for startup or single employee business, swap 4&5)
- Network Security (firewall, wireless, VPNs, and VLANS)
- Encryption (especially email)
- Expertise (practical business advice)
- Compliance (all of the others go into compliance, so last aspect and may not apply to your business)
- Everything else
If you are not on the library’s Constant Contact email list, email and I’ll forward the current issue.
August 1st Tuesday
Put August 2, 2016, 5:45-7:45pm, on your calendar to join Braswell Memorial Library and SCORE, in the computer lab st 727 N. Grace Street, in Rocky Mount NC, for “Tax Information for Nonprofit Managers.” Julie Porter will present information on federal taxes, and will take individual questions. This is a free workshop specifically geared to help Eastern North Carolina Nonprofit Organizations correctly file and/or receive credit for Federal Tax.
Small Business Owners are also welcome to attend, as the workshop is geared to the participants questions. Seating is limited, so registration is required. Email, call 252.442.1952 x.239, or text your interest to 252.525.4992 as soon as possible.