Farms across North Carolina are opening their gates for travelers looking for ways to celebrate the season with unique and fun farm experiences. From choose-and-cut Christmas trees and light shows to pop-up markets and visits with Santa, there are plenty of holiday options to choose from.
Following is a selection of activities being offered at NC agritourism destinations through the end of the winter season. Visitors are encouraged to verify event dates and hours of operations before they go.
Additional farm events are available on the Visit NC Farms app.
- Galloway Farm in Hallsboro, NC will be hosting Christmas Fun Day on the Farm November 30, 2019, 8am-3pm. The event includes breakfast with Santa and Mrs. Claus, a scavenger hunt, and the Tree Farmers 12 Days of Christmas Sing Along Trail.
- Grapefull Sisters Vineyard in Tabor City, NC will hold its third-annual Mingle Jingle on December 7, 2019, 4-8pm. Visitors are encouraged to wear comfortable shoes and bring a chair and flashlight to this outside concert event.
- Alpaca Dreams in Louisburg is offering on-farm experiences as gifts this holiday season. Learn more about alpacas and get to know each animal’s unique personality.
- Hubb’s Farm in Clinton, NC will screen The Polar Express on November 30, 2019. The event starts at 5:15pm, and the movie begins at 7pm. The event features a train ride and photos with Santa. All tickets are sold in advance.
- Lu Mil Vineyard in Elizabethtown, NC will have a Drive Thru Festival of Lights starting Thanksgiving Weekend. Visitors also can enjoy free photos with Santa, wine tastings, hot chocolate and a trip to the gift shop. Hours and pricing are available on the vineyard’s website.
- Nooherooka Natural in Snow Hill, NC will hold its Winterfest 2019 event December 7 & 8, 2019, featuring local artists, craftsmen, potters, food trucks, self-guided tours of the historic Benjamin W. Best Inn, and the annual Nooherooka Natural Holiday Meat Sale.
- Red Barn Christmas in Roseboro, NC will hold its Christmas light show and hayride Fridays and Saturdays 6-9pm from November 29 to December 22, 2019. Come see farm scenes, visit the animals and stop in the store for s’mores and hot dogs.
- Twiddle Dee Farm in Clinton will hold an adults-only Open Farm Day December 7, 2019, 3-6pm. Guests will have the chance to learn how the farm prepares for winter and deals with emergencies. The day includes s’mores, hot chocolate and coffee. Online advance registration is required.
- Boyette Family Farms in Clayton presents Lights on the Neuse, November 29 through December 24. The holiday celebration features an old-fashioned hayride and Christmas light displays. (See website for hours.)
- Pace Family Farms in Clayton will host a vendor craft fair with food trucks on December 7, 2019, 9am-1pm.
- Allied Organic Farms in Hurdle Mills is hosting a free County Christmas with Santa event November 30, 2019, 4pm. The light show begins at dusk. There will be gift items for sale from local vendors and a sleigh ride along a trail.
- Almond Christmas Tree Farm in Albemarle will be opening for the season November 29, 2019. The farm will be open Thursday through Sunday during the season with fresh Christmas trees, wreaths, a gift shop, playground, hayrides and farm animals.
- Boyce Farm in Raleigh will offer fresh, NC Fraser firs for the season. The farm is open November 22 & 23, 2019, 9am-7pm. Starting November 29, 2019, the farm will operate Monday-Friday noon-7pm and Saturday-Sunday 9am-7pm.
- Brantley Farms in Mocksville will sell its pasture-raised beef, free-range eggs, local sausage and produce on Saturdays in November 10am-2pm.
- Brookhaven Mill Farm in Greensboro will set up its Christmas tree lot in front of Charlie’s Farm Store starting Thanksgiving Week. The store will be open throughout the season with trees, hot chocolate, cookies, and visits with Santa.
- Buffalo Creek Farm and Creamery in Germanton will host businesses at their market for Small Business Saturday on November 30, 2019, 10am-6pm.
- Carlee Farm in Oxford will be sponsoring the Stem Fire & EMS on November 23, 2019, 11am-5pm. Enjoy the farmers marketplace, hayrides, chicken plates and live music.
- Denton Farm Park in Denton will open for the holiday season starting November 29, 2019. Visitors can ride the train, see holiday light displays, watch the Nativity movie, and visit with Santa.
- Fine Family Farm’s Peaceful Acres Farmhouse in Denton is available for reservations this holiday season. Guests can interact with animals and gather fresh eggs for breakfast. There also are many hiking and kayaking destinations near the farm.
- Forget-Me-Knot Farm in Hillsborough is hosting two hands-on soap making classes. A Valentines Soap Class will be held January 18, 2020. and a Goat Milk Shampoo Bar Class will be held February 22, 2020. To register for the class, email email@example.com.
- Hickory Creek Farm in Greensboro will start offering Christmas trees on November 23, 2019, 10am. The farm will open daily into December or until trees are sold out. Santa and Mrs. Claus will be at the farm on Saturdays through December 7, 2019.
- M & M Alpaca Farm of NC in Pittsboro is having a Black Friday Fun Sale on November 29, 2019. The farm also will be open throughout the season selling locally made alpaca scarves, blankets, and more. Tours to meet the alpacas can be made in advance.
- McLaurin Farms in Greensboro will offer Christmas activities including Christmas lights, hayrides, and visits with Santa November 28 through December 29, 2019. Visit the farm website for hours.
- Middle Ground Farm in Monroe will host an evening with Santa and Mrs. Claus on December 21, 2019, 6-9pm. There also will be local vendors for last-minute gifts and holiday refreshments.
- Midland Farms in Midland presents “A Christmas to Remember” December 7 & 14, 2019, 4-8pm. Bring your family to enjoy a beautiful Christmas light display, crafts, games, face painting, pony rides and the farm store open for gifts.
- Millstone Creek Orchards in Ramseur will host Christmas with the Kringles and a Millstone Creek Christmas Hayride starting November 29, 2019. Families can celebrate the season on a Christmas hayride featuring inflatables, thousands of lights and a musical light show then continue the fun with cookie decorating and visits with Santa and Mrs. Claus. Reservations are required for the events.
- Mitchell’s Nursery and Greenhouse in King will hold its annual Poinsettia Open House on December 1, 2019, noon-4pm with 93 poinsettia varieties in full color. Visitors can cast their votes in the poinsettia trials to help determine future varieties.
- Plum Granny Farm in King will host a variety of other businesses at their market for Small Business Saturday on November 30, 2019, 10am-3pm.
- Smith’s Family Fun Farm in Hillsborough will have choose-and-cut Christmas trees starting November 29. In addition, the farm will offer hot chocolate, fresh wreaths and more in the farm store.
- Stowe Dairy Christmas Tree Farm in Gastonia opens for the season on November 23, 2019 with Christmas trees grown on the farm and from Western North Carolina. Santa will visit the farm November 30 & December 7, 2019 1-5pm.
- The Barn at Lloyd’s Dairy in Efland will host the Tarheel Antiques Festival and Christmas Craft Show November 16 & 17, 2019, 9am-6pm. The event features vendors, music, auctions and hayrides.
- The Hunter Farm in Weddington will open for the season on Thanksgiving with wagon rides to the petting barn, visits with Santa, hot chocolate, birdhouse painting, and choose-your-own Fraser Fir Christmas trees.
- Triple Diamond Farm in Mooresville will host photos with Santa November 30 & December 1, 2019, 10am-6pm. Children can get unlimited photos and will receive a gift. Parents can enjoy a complimentary glass of champagne. There also will be games, cookies and hot chocolate.
- WoodMill Winery in Vale will hold its annual Christmas Show December 7, 2019, 10am-5pm with over 20 vendors selling art, handmade crafts, pottery, jewelry and more. Free wine tastings and tours will occur during the day.
- Apple Hill Farm in Banner Elk will offer tours of the farm every 30 minutes 10am-4pm on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from November 15 through December 8, 2019.
- Foothill Farmers’ Market Winter Market in Shelby will have several special dates including a Thanksgiving Farmers Market on November 27, 2019; a Holiday Market and Craft Fair on December 14, 2019; and two winter markets at Newgrass Brewing Company on January 11 & February 15, 2020.
- Justus Orchard in Hendersonville offers apple picking, baked goods and children’s activities on weekends in November. The farm also will have fresh Christmas trees starting Thanksgiving Day through mid-December.
- Sandy Hollar Farms in Leicester will offer choose-and-cut Christmas trees, fresh wreaths and garlands, wagon rides, a Christmas shop and snack shack daily November 23 through December 21, 2019.
- Sandy Mush Herb Nursery in Leicester is open Thursday-Saturday 10am-4pm. It has a huge collection of culinary, fragrant and decorative plants well suited for indoor gardens. Visitors also can enjoy the beautiful winter landscape on self-guided walks.
- Trosly Farm Store in Elk Park is open Saturdays through December 14, 2019 for fresh breads, vegetables, chocolates and more.
- Walnut Hollow Ranch in Hayesville is a working cattle ranch welcoming guests and tourists through educational farm tours, farm stays and more. The farm is open to the public Fridays and Saturdays 10am-4pm.
Source: Annie Baggett, NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Is your farm holding an event that is not listed? Register your farm with the ag deparment and submit your farm events. It’s free, and it will help NCDA&CS to encourage more people to visit your farm. See details in our article, The Ag Dept Wants to Spread The Word about Your Farm Events, published in 2018 with assistance from NCDA&CS.