26,400 Pounds of Products, Which Were Donated to Charity, Are Being Recalled Due To Misbranding and Undeclared Allergens
Nestle Prepared Foods Company, a Mount Sterling, Kentucky establishment, is recalling approximately 26,400 pounds of pork and beef products due to misbranding and undeclared allergens, the US Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced on November 8, 2017. The product(s) contains eggs, milk, soy, and wheat, known allergens, which are not declared on the product label.
The frozen not-ready-to-eat (NRTE) pork and beef hot pocket items were produced on September 21, 2016, January 10, 2017 and January 13, 2017. The following products are subject to recall:
- 2,400-lb. bulk packages of “Nestle Hot Pockets BBQ Burger Bites.”
- 16,800-lb. bulk packages of “Nestle Hot Pockets 3 Cheese Bacon Bites.”
- 7,200-lb. bulk packages of “Nestle Hot Pockets Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Snack Bites.”
These items were donated to a charitable organization, in which the product was further distributed to a food bank in Missouri. The products may have been repackaged and further distributed and sold to additional food banks in Missouri. The products do not have the USDA mark of inspection and do not identify the ingredients.
The problem was discovered on October 26, 2017 by an Office of Investigations, Enforcement and Audit Compliance Officer during routine in-commerce surveillance activities.
There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.
People who have purchased or received these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.
According to the Distribution List released with the recall, the following organizations are believed to have received these products:
- Gleaner Basket/Monark Southern Baptist Church/ANT Enterprises, 18472 Linden Drive Neosho MO-Missouri
- KIDs Across America 25114 Private Road 2232 Golden MO-Missouri
- River of Faith Church 4276 Route KK Seligman MO-Missouri
- Teen Challenge 18527 East Highway 86 Neosho MO-Missouri
- United Methodist Church 106 St. John Street Noel MO-Missouri
- We Care for 4 States 6879 East Newman Road Joplin MO-Missouri
This is a Class 1 recall: “This is a health hazard situation where there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death.”
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers. When available, the retail distribution list(s) will be posted on the FSIS website at www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls. With questions about the recall can contact Nestle Consumer Engagement Services at 800.681.1676 or email@example.com.
Source: USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service