Braswell Memorial Library in Rocky Mount NC Announces Edible Book Contest
Released by LaKesha Joyner, MLS, Adult Programming Librarian
Join Braswell Memorial Library for an Edible Book Contest! The Edible Book Contest will be held on April 16, 2016, from 1-4pm in the Wiley Room at Braswell Memorial Library, 727 N Grace Street, Rocky Mount NC.
Taste-testing and Judging will be at 3pm on April 16. Judging the edible creations will be Braswell Library staff. The panel will be made up of one judge from Information Services, a second from Youth Services, and another from Circulation.
All ages are welcome to enter. The Edible Book Contest is free and open to the public. It is part of Braswell’s National Library Week activities — April 10-16, 2016.
National Library Week 2016 has the theme “Libraries Transform”. This national campaign is a time to celebrate the contributions of libraries and librarians all over, and to promote library use and support. For Braswell staff, they felt it was a good time to add this unique event to their offerings.
“This year we wanted to celebrate National Library Week with an Edible Book Contest on April 16th,” said Ms. Joyner. “This will be the first time for the library hosting an event of this nature. For the contest, we are looking for cakes and cookies — anything that is edible which depicts a fictional, or non-fictional, literary work or character.”
Contest Rules and Entry forms are available at the Information Services Desk on the Second Floor or online at www.braswell-library.org. The rules are also included below.
Entry forms are due by March 21, 2016. So, put on your thinking cap, or rather your baker’s cap, and start cooking, baking, or whipping up a book or your favorite character!
Edible Book Contest Rules
- Each edible creation must depict a fictional or non-fictional literary work or literary character.
- Entries may be entered as a single person or as a two (2) person team. In the event that a team enters, both contestants’ names MUST be on the registration form.
- Each creation must be your own! (Cannot enter someone else’s creation).
- Each food creation must be at least 95% edible. Edible means made of food or foodstuffs. The base can be no larger than 18×24 inches. The creation will be without refrigeration and on display so it must not be made of extremely perishable ingredients.
- Complete the official entry form available at the Library. By entering this contest, the creator of the “edible book” is giving the library permission to photograph and publish information on the creation and its creator.
- Each edible book entry will be judged on the following criteria: (a) Originality and Creativity; (b) Skill and Construction; (c) Visual Appeal; and (d) tie-In with the
Literary Work being depicted.
- Contestants DO NOT HAVE TO BE PRESENT to receive prizes.
- All entries must be family friendly. The judges reserve the right to reject any entries which are considered to be inappropriate.
- Registration forms must be filled out and turned into the Library by March 21, 2016.
For more information, call Kesha Joyner at 252.442.1951 x.253 or email her.