By Will Robinson, Local History and Genealogy Librarian, Wilson County Public Library
Wilson County Public library has released a list of upcoming programs offered to the public this July.
The following programs will be held at the Main Library, 249 Nash St NW, Wilson, North Carolina. Age groups are listed for each program.
Early Literacy Programs
For children, early literacy programs will continue at the Main Library every Wednesday and Thursday morning. Children ages birth through 2 (two) are invited to join the 9:30am program. Preschool age children are invited to join the 10am program.
Computer Training (4 classes)
An “Introduction to Computers” course will be offered in the conference room every Wednesday in July, 3-4:30pm. This cumulative course will require prior enrollment and attendance to all four classes. Contact Mark at 252.237.5355 x.5074 to enroll.
Arts and Crafts Classes
On Monday, July 10, 2017, 2-4pm, the 12 years to adult program, Pottery Class, will be offered in the Assembly Room. Call 252.237.5355 to enroll.
On Monday, July 24, 2017, 6pm, and again on Friday, July 28, 2017, 2pm, adults and teens (13+) are invited to the Flower Pens crafting class. The class will be offered for all ages on Monday, July 31, 2017, 6pm.
Families are invited to the Summer Family Film Festival. Moana will be shown on Saturday, July 15, 2017, at 2pm, and Norm of the North will be shown on Monday, July 17, 2017, 2pm.
On July 10, 2017, bring a Fairy House to the library for their competition, where the fairy houses you made at home will be judged and prizes awarded.
Branch Library Events
Branch library locations offer Summer Reading programs throughout July. Be sure to go to the appropriate library for each event. Additional Summer Reading details are included after the events.
The Black Creek branch library is located at 103 Central Avenue, Black Creek NC. With questions, call 252.237.3715. Branch hours are Monday-Friday 10am-6pm. This branch is closed Saturday-Sunday.
- July 10, 2017 @ 3pm is The Clothes We Wear.
- July 17, 2017 @ 3pm is Nature Conservation.
- July 24, 2017 @ 3pm is Recycling.
Branch address is 6000-C Ward Boulevard, Wilson NC. However, for the Summer Reading, East branch programs will be held at the American Legion building at 700 New Bern Street, Wilson NC. With questions, call 252.237.2627.
- July 12, 2017 @ 3pm is The Clothes We Wear.
- July 19, 2017 @ 3pm is Nature Conservation.
- July 26, 2017 @ 3pm is Recycling.
This library is located at 114 N Railroad Street, Elm City NC. With questions, call 252.236.4269. Branch hours are Monday-Friday 10am- 6pm. Branch is closed Saturday and Sunday.
- July 13, 2017 @ 2pm is CD Scratch Art.
- July 20, 2017 @ 2pm is Popsicle Stick Chain Reaction.
- July 27, 2017 @ 2pm Fidget Spinner Party
This branch is located at 103 W Spring Street, Lucama NC. With questions, call 252.239.0046. Branch hours are Monday-Friday 10am-6pm. Branch closed Saturday-Sunday.
- July 13, 2017 @ 4pm is Furry Friends.
- July 20, 2017 @ 4pm is Plant an Herb Garden.
- July 27, 2017 @ 4pm is Recyclable Sculptures.
Branch location is 114 S Main Street, Stantonsburg NC. With questions, call 252.238.3758. Branch hours are Monday-Thursday 1:30-5pm. Closed Friday-Sunday.
- July 13, 2017 @ 3pm is a general Summer Reading Program event.
- July 20 & 27, 2017 @ 3pm is Building a Better World through Farming.
General Summer Reading Program Details
The goals of Summer Reading are:
- To encourage and motivate children and their families to read for pleasure
- To help school age children maintain their reading skills while on school holiday
- To introduce people to the resources of their public library
- To collect reading data for the NC State Library
- To attract new customers to the library
These programs create a bridge to combat the summer slide. Children who continue to read during the summer return to school without decreased reading ability. Pleasure reading encourages lifelong learning and keeps reading skills sharp. Readers adapt more easily and excel in our fast-paced information rich society, so it’s a win for everyone!
Prior to most evening children’s events, the Tobs and their mascot, Slugger, will offer chances to receive game tickets & other prizes. To participate, you must come early and be present to win.
The Bookmobile will offer short, fun, hands-on programs at its regular stops in Rock Ridge, Sims, and Saratoga in June and July.
- Tuesday, July 11 at 4:00 — Saratoga
- Wednesday, July 12 at 3:30 — Rock Ridge
- Wednesday, July 12 at 4:30 — Sims
The Wilson County Public Library’s Summer Reading Program is made possible by the generous help of the Friends of the Wilson County Public Library. All of these programs are free and open to the public. Contact your local branch to register.