By Tameka Kenan-Norman, City of Rocky Mount NC
The Rocky Mount Parks and Recreation Department will present its free, block party style program for a sixth year. The annual event kicks off this Friday, June 16, 2017, and continues through Friday, August 18, 2017.
Summer Night Lights includes organized sports, inflatables, a live DJ, face painting and more. It also alternates between the city’s many parks.
Says Duane Ashmon, Recreation Center supervisor:
“Summer Night Lights is an outreach effort for families. It alternates between nine city parks so that everyone will have an opportunity to engage in the many activities that are offered.”
Summer Night Lights will take place from 6pm to 8pm. The first 200 guests each night will receive a free hot dog snack. Summer Night Lights will take place in the following locations:
- June 16, 2017 — at Buck Leonard Park, 929 S. Grace Street
- June 23, 2017 — at Lancaster Park, 1509 Barnes Street
- July 7, 2017 — at Branch Street Park, 1731 Branch Street
- July 14, 2017 — at MLK Park, 800 East Virginia Street
- July 21, 2017 — at Three Sister’s Park, 221 Walter Drive
- July 28, 2017 — at Aycock Park, 1200 Aycock Street
- August 4, 2017 — at South Rocky Mount Community Center, 517 Ravenwood Drive
- August 11, 2017 — at Meadowbrook Park, 1742 Bedford Road
- August 18, 2017 — at Hornbeam Park, 150 Cunningham Drive
See more on the city’s website at www.rockymountnc.gov/…/summer_night_lights.
To volunteer — help with face painting and other duties to be assigned — or for more Summer Night Lights details, call 252.972.1151.