By Kay Whatley, Editor
On Saturday, July 7, 2018, The Zebulon Farm Fresh Market (ZFFM) held a Literacy Day at the Market with special vendors including the Wake County Public Libraries (Zebulon Community Library), Comic World, The Zebulon Times, and The Grey Area News. Market customers had the opportunity to visit these literacy-oriented vendors, pick up a free comic, a newspaper, a book, information, and shop the regular market vendors.
The Grey Area News booth — with help from Cindy Brookshire of the Johnston County Writers’ Group and local author Kim Beall — handed out local writer-oriented information (links go to PDF of each handout):
- Handout 1. List of local authors and writers’ groups (Eastern NC) compiled by The Grey Area News in July 2018.
- Handout 2. FCAC Writers’ Guild Carolina Prize Contest and County Lines Submissions 2018.
- Handout 3. The Rhine Mysterious Short Story Contest 2018.
Despite the rain occasionally splattering everything and making puddles, market customers shopped and stopped to talk throughout the market day (9am-1pm).
ZFFM is open Saturdays at the Zebulon Municipal Complex, 1003 N Arendell Avenue, Zebulon, North Carolina. Parking is available at the Municipal Complex at no charge, and there is no fee to enter the farmers market.
The ZFFM theme this coming Saturday, July 14, 2018, is Customer Appreciation Day. Five lucky customers will recieve $25 market gits. Vendors will be doing special giveaways, there will be a Peach Recipe Contest, and live music.
Basic information and vendor application forms may be accessed on the Town of Zebulon website at here. The market is overseen by the town Parks and Rec department.
Continue reading for more on Literacy Day, followed by future ZFFM dates, themes, and giveaways.
A blog post regarding Literacy Day, written by Johnston County Writers’ Group organizer Cindy Brookshire, may be read here. Several of Ms. Brookshire’s photos are included below.
Comic World handed out free comic books, and oversaw two booths with a variety of market offerings and reading material.
The new local newspaper, The Zebulon Times, handed out free newspapers and invited people to subscribe.
Note: Local Author Kim Beall assisted in the booth, is pictured above at right, and recently released her novel, Seven Turns, which is available on Amazon.com.
Coming Up at the Zebulon Farm Fresh Market 2018
Market schedule follows, according to the most recent release from ZFFM. Market happenings may change without notice.
- July 21, 2018: Christmas in July — Free Pictures with Santa, Live Music, Cousin’s Maine Lobster Food Truck
- July 28, 2018: Tomato Day — Live Music, Free Produce, Tomato Recipe Contest
- August 4, 2018: Free Mini Pizzas- National Farmers’ Market Week — Watermelon Eating Contest, Watermelon Seed Spitting Contest, Live Music, Free Mini Pizza, Start of National Farmers’ Market Week
- August 11, 2018: National Farmers’ Market Week — Free Watermelon to first 300 Customers, Largest Watermelon Contest, Imploding
Watermelon, Live Music, Watermelon Recipe Contest, Las Gringas Tacos Food Truck
- August 18, 2018: Tranquility Day — Free Massages, Free Nail Painting, Yoga Sessions, Cousins Maine Lobster Food Truck, Live Music
- August 25, 2018: Back to School Day — Free Backpacks and School Supplies for EBT Customers, Live Music, Free Lemonade and Cookies for Children
- September 1, 2018: Food Drive Day (Labor Day Weekend) — Canned Food Drive for Zebulon United Methodist Church, Live Music
- September 8, 2018: Honey Day — Honey Day, Opening Day of Zebulon Parks and Rec Soccer, Inflatables, Free Food, Live
- September 15, 2018: National Hispanic Heritage Day — Hispanic Dancers, Hot Pepper Eating Contest, Las Gringas Tacos Food Truck
- September 22, 2018: Arendell Avenue Art Walk — Featuring ZDAC and ZFFM Artists, Live Music, Cousins Maine Lobster Food Truck
- September 29, 2018: Apple Day at the Market — Apple Recipe Contest, Apple Tasting, Live Music
- October 6, 2018: Closing Day — Pig Pickin, Largest Pumpkin Contest, Kids Costume Contest, Pumpkin Painting, Imploding Pumpkin, Live Music
After the market closes for the year, the organizers hold a holiday market, usually at the Zebulon Community Center. Dates for the 2018 Holiday Market will be November 16-17, 2018.