The Country Doctor Museum is holding a Springfest and Plant Sale at the museum, with museum and garden tours, tea tastings, painting classes, and a plant sale.
The 2016 Springfest and Plant Sale is April 30, 2016, 10am-4pm. A variety of plants will be available at the Country Doctor Museum’s event, which is being held at the museum, 6642 Peele Road, in Bailey NC.
Take a free museum tour or tour their Medicinal Herb Garden. An Herbal tea tasting will let visitors check out the flavors herbs have to offer.
According to the museum, one of the highlights of the event is going to be painting classes! A Blank Canvas is holding adult and youth classes during Springfest.
- The adult class with take place 10:30am-12:15pm and the cost is $20 to create a 16×20 painting.
- The youth (6+) class will take place 1:30pm-3:00pm and the cost is $15 to create a 8×10 painting.
Pre-registration for the painting classes is necessary and spaces are limited. Call the museum as soon as possible — 252.235.4165 — to register and make payment in advance (required). Painting fee includes the instruction and all materials.
Be sure to come and watch the unveiling of a new addition to the museum’s Medicinal Herb Garden at 1pm.
Check out the local vendors, who will be providing information and unique items for sale. According to Jennie, the vendors include:
- A Blank Canvas, which is also teaching the painting classes
- Dan Finch Blueberry Nursery will be there with “Home for Bluebirds” (nonprofit), blueberry plants, and pottery.
- Giftcraft, providing the complimentary herbal tea tastings.
- Southern Roots Nursery, with plants and more.
- Sue’s Baskets, showing handmade baskets with some for sale.
- Toad Song Farm of Clayton NC, which offers a variety of garden plants.
- Twin Oaks Farm, a livestock farm located in Spring Hope NC.
Parking is available in the Country Doctor Museum parking lot.
To find out more about the event, or any open vendor spots, call 252.235.4165.
The Country Doctor Museum is “dedicated to interpreting the history of medicine in rural America.” They hold regular hours for visitors, and schedule family-oriented events throughout the year, such as this Springfest. Their regular business hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 10am to 4pm. According to the museum website, they became part of East Carolina University early in this millenium:
In 2001, the Country Doctor Museum’s board of directors decided to seek new stewardship. With its focus on primary care medicine, the division of Health Sciences at East Carolina University seemed to be an appropriate guardian. After two years of negotiations, the Museum was donated to the Medical Foundation of East Carolina University. Through an agreement with the Foundation, the Museum is managed today as part of the History Collections of Laupus Library.
The Country Doctor Museum is located in Bailey NC, Nash County. Bailey is between the Town of Zebulon and the City of Wilson when travelling along Route 264.
Carl White’s Life in the Carolinas video segment offers a little more information on the museum.