Wilson County Public Library has a variety of free programs for the community throughout February and March 2018 at the Main Library and Branches throughout Wilson County, North Carolina. The early part of the year includes offerings related to the book, Hidden Figures, selected for Wilson Reads 2018 — which encourages the entire community to read this historical book.
Founded in 1939, the Wilson County Public Library has been engaging the community and enhancing the minds of all people of all ages with programs, lectures, classes, and entertainment.
The Main Library is located at 249 Nash Street W, Wilson NC.
The Black Creek Branch is at 103 Central Avenue, Black Creek NC.
The East Branch is at 6000-C Ward Blvd, Wilson NC.
The Elm City Branch is on 114 N Railroad Street, Elm City NC.
The Lucama Branch is at 103 E Spring Street, Lucama NC.
The Stantonsburg Branch is at 114 S Main Street, Stantonsburg NC.
Normal library operating hours are 9am-9pm, Monday-Wednesday; 9am-6pm, Thursday-Saturday; all Wilson County Public Libraries are closed on Sunday. For more information call 252.237.5355. Information for, and events at, these libraries may be found at www1.youseemore.com/wilsoncountypl.
Wilson Reads 2018
Wilson Reads 2018 continues with the following programs and events:
Join the all-ages book discussions of Hidden Figures:
- Thursday, February 22, 2018, 3pm — Stantonsburg Library
- Wednesday, March 7, 2018, 3pm — Lucama Library
- Thursday, March 8, 2018, 2pm — Main Library
- Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 6:30pm — Main Library
- Thursday, March 15, 2018, 2pm — Main Library
- Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 6:30pm — Main Library
- Thursday, March 22, 2018, 3pm — Black Creek Library
All events are free and open to the public. All events are held at the Main library unless otherwise noted.
We will be showing the 6-part series, Makers, which showcases the achievements of groundbreaking women.
- “Women in War” Monday, February 19, 2018, 6:30pm
- “Women in Comedy” Monday, February 26, 2018, 6:30pm
- “Women in Politics” Monday, March 5, 2018, 6:30pm
- “Women in Space” Monday, March 19, 2018, 6:30pm
All showings will be held at the Main Library.
- Monday, March 26, 2018, 6:30pm, watch Hidden Figures movie and enjoy free refreshments.
Local historian Alex Albright shares the fascinating story of the “Forgotten First”, the African-American B-1 band that helped integrate the modern Navy. This lecture will be held at the Main Library on February 20, 2018, 6:30pm.
On Monday, March 12, 2018, 6:30pm, Robert Cagna from Barton College will discuss the history of Women in Technology on Postage Stamps – with free stamps for attendees!
Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 5:30-8pm, March 14 is pie– er, Pi Day! Join the fun with treats and activities centered on the number that makes the world go ‘round.
On Saturday, March 17, 2018, 3pm, Wilson County Public Library has partnered with the Imagination Station for a Women in Science Program: Rocket Girls. Hear stories of women with stellar careers in the space exploration program and view rocket experiments on the lawn. All ages are welcome.
On Saturday, March 24, 2018, 3pm, Wilson County Public Library presents its Grassroots Grant project, a theater production entitled We Can Do It: American Women in History. Funding is provided by the Friends of the Wilson County Public Library and the Wilson Arts Council with the NC Arts Council. All ages are welcome.
Family Craft Program:
Learn about the night sky by making constellation string art on February 17, 2018, 3pm, at the Main Library. Free program, children must be accompanied by an adult. Registration is required. Call 252.237.5355 to register for this program.
Programs at Main Library
Story Times and Early Literacy:
For children, early literacy programs will continue at the Main Library every Wednesday and Thursday morning.
- Children ages birth through 2 are invited to join the 9:30am program.
- Preschool-age children are invited to join the program at 10am program.
- Family Storytimes are scheduled for Saturday, February 17 and 24, 2018, at 3pm. In March, Saturday, March 3, 10, 17, 24, and 31, 2018, at 3pm.
A series of Introduction to Computers classes will be offered in the Main Library Conference Room Wednesdays, March 7, 14, 21, and 28, 2018, 2-3:30pm. Registration is required by Monday, March 5. Each class builds on the one before, so plan to attend all four classes in March. For more information and to register, call Mark at 252.237.5355 x.5074.
Programs at Branch Libraries
- Lap-Sit: For children ages zero – Pre-K is scheduled for two Wednesdays: February 28 and March 28, 2018, 10:30am.
- Storytime: All ages welcome on Thursdays, March 1 and March 15, 2018, 4pm.
- Storytime: Wednesday, February 28, March 14, and 28, 2018, 4pm.
- Preschooler Story Time: Tuesday, February 27, March 13, and 27, 2018, at 10am.
- Elementary Story Time: Tuesday, February 27, March 13, and 27, 2018, at 4pm.
- Teen Program: Game Fun on Thursday, February 22, 2018, at 4pm.
- Teen Program: Paper Boxes on Thursday, March 8, 2018, at 4pm.
- Teen Program: Magnet Art on Thursday, March 22, 2018, at 4pm.
- Spring Teen Programs (ages 11-17): Thursdays, March 1 and 15, 2018, at 4pm.
- Lap-sit Storytime (ages zero – Pre-K): Wednesdays, March 7 and 21, 2018, at 10:30am.
- Elementary Storytime: Tuesdays, March 6 and 20, 2018, at 4pm.
- Book Chat: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 3-4pm.
- Tuesday, March 6, 2018, 3:30-5pm — Saratoga
- Wednesday, March 7, 2018, 3-4pm — Rock Ridge
- Wednesday, March 7, 2018, 4:15-5pm — Sims
- Tuesday, March 27, 2018, 3:30-5pm — Saratoga
- Wednesday, March 28, 2018, 3-4pm — Rock Ridge
- Wednesday, March 28, 2018, 4:15-5pm — Sims
Below are the nearest addresses to where the bookmobile parks.
- Saratoga — Across the street from Premier Auto Body, 6822 Main Street, Saratoga NC. (The bookmobile parks in an empty lot across the street from the body shop.)
- Rock Ridge — In the parking lot adjacent to Williamson Peanuts, 6512 Rock Ridge School Road, Wilson NC (Exit 116 off I-95).
- Sims — In the parking lot adjacent to the Sheriff’s outpost located at 6402 Hwy 264a, Sims NC.
Source: Amanda Gardner and Mark Robinson, wilson-co.com