After six months of library updates, East Regional Library re-opened in April and is ramped up and planning summer reading and public events. East Regional Library is located at 946 Steeple Square Court, Knightdale, North Carolina.
Check out the events planned for June, or visit the Wake County libraries website for events county-wide: www.wakegov.com/libraries/events.
Summer Reading Program
Libraries Rock! Summer Reading Launch
Sunday, June 3, 2018 @ 1:30-4pm
Wake County Public Libraries are getting ready for summer reading with a special family event.
East Regional Library will offer a performance from Professor Whizpop at 1:30pm. After the performance, kids can get their Summer Reading log, and our special craft this year is tie-dye bandanas.
Plus, learn about all the great programs we’ll have this summer and pick up a reading list. The Summer Reading Program runs from June 1-July 31, 2018 and is for all ages — kids through adults.
Looking for some good books? Fill out a brief form online and Wake County Public Libraries’ Adult Services Librarians will suggest up to ten books for your reading pleasure. Available to any WCPL patron age 16 years or older.
Upcoming events are listed below.
Music in the Library: Rockin’ in the Library
Sunday, June 3, 2018 @ 2:30-3:30pm
Rock out at the library with an hour of classic and new rock from local musicians. No registration required.
Effective Business Writing Techniques
Monday, June 4, 2018 @ 6:30-7:30pm
Are you confident in your ability to communicate electronically? Do you find sending workplace emails daunting? Join Christy Hanthorn and Richard Klein from Wake Tech for a crash course on writing clear, concise, correct prose. This workshop will focus on “netiquette” and composing professional mess. Registration requested.
Meet the Artist: Portraits
Friday, June 8, 2018 @ 11am-noon
Local Portrait artist, Kathy Herring, will display her work and answer your questions about portrait creation. No registration required.
From Good to Great in 2018
Tuesday, June 12, 2018 @ 3-4pm
Empowerment Coach, Karen Gilliam aka coach KG will help you reflect, refocus, redirect, and re-energize your goals and purpose. A discussion of life balance, knowing your “WHY,” and setting one goal to complete by the end of the year.
SCORE: Intro to Entrepreneurship
Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 6:30-8:30pm
Ready to start a business? Navigate those critical first steps toward entrepreneurship. Learn about researching the market and competitors, securing funds, and projecting results. Registration requested.
Dark Raleigh: Murder, Mayhem, and Madness in the Capital City
Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 7-8pm
Join local historian and City of Raleigh Museum Director, Ernest Dollar, for a lively presentation followed by a discussion.
Write It: Local Publishing
Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 7pm
Writers, explore the benefits of working with small publishers. Representatives from Regal House Publishing will discuss the business side of the book industry and answer your questions. Registration requested.
Tuesdays & Wednesdays @ 11:30am
Babies and their caregivers are invited to participate in a 20 minute lapsit program that incorporates age appropriate books, music, rhymes, and movement.
Tuesdays & Wednesdays @ 9:30am & 10:30am
Fridays @ 10:30am & 11:30am
Children from walkers to age 3 and their caregivers are invited to participate in a 25 minute interactive program that incorporates age appropriate books, music, rhymes, and movement.
Mondays @ 10:30am & 11:30am
Tuesday @ 1:30pm
Thursdays @ 10:30am & 11:30am
Children ages 3-5 and their caregivers are invited to participate in an interactive program that incorporates age appropriate books, songs, and movement to nurture pre-reading skills.
Saturdays at 10:30 a.m.
Young children and their families are invited to participate in an interactive program that incorporates age appropriate books, songs and movement to nurture pre-reading skills.
ABC Craft and Learn: A Kindergarten Readiness Program
Saturdays @ 11:30 a.m.
Children ages 3-5 and their caregivers are invited to participate in an interactive alphabet-based program to nurture pre-reading skills and to develop fine motor skills through writing, play, and an alphabet craft.
Ready, Set, School Community Playdate
Third Saturday of each month — Saturday, June 16, 2018
Join Marbles Kids Museum at the library for family play to support kids ages 3-5 in getting ready for school.
Tuesdays @ 5:30pm
Weekly events for K-2nd grade kids read, create, discover and explore through books, activities and more.
- June 5, 2018 — Sharks! Spend an hour with this fascinating, misunderstood fish, and make your own shark sensory bottle to bring home!
- June 12, 2018 — Art Totes! Use acrylic paint to make your own resist art tote bag. Be prepared to get messy!
- June 19, 2018 — Modern Art! Get those creative juices flowing by joining us in creating beautiful works of abstract modern art and learn a little about the artists who inspire us!
- June 26, 2018 — The Bad Seed! Create your own seed bombs.
Thursdays @ 4:30pm
Special events where 3rd-5th grade kids read, create, discover and explore through books, activities and more.
- June 7, 2018 — Sharks! Spend an hour with this fascinating, misunderstood fish, and make your own shark sensory bottle to bring home!
- June 14, 2018 — Designs by You! Design and paint your own masterpiece on a canvas bag! Be prepared to get messy.
- June 21, 2018 — Modern Art! Get those creative juices flowing by joining us in creating beautiful works of abstract modern art and learn a little about the artists who inspire us!
- June 28, 2018 — The Bad Seed! Create your own seed bombs.
Books with Brian featuring See Spot Read
June 5, 2018 @ 6:30pm
Children in grades K-5 and their families are invited to join us for literacy activities. Come practice your reading skills with the certified therapy dogs of the local Meetup group See Spot Read. Readers of all levels welcome. No registration required.
Discover Your World: Family Movies @ the Library
June 17, 2018 @ 2pm
Head to the library for a family movie at the library. Feature presentation: Oceans, Diving deep into the waters that ultimately sustain all life on Earth, Jacques Perrin and Jacques Cluzaud capture spectacular footage of the amazing beauty and harsh reality of life beneath the waves., G Rating and run time 1 hour 44 minutes.
K-5th Super Special
- Sunday, June 3, 2018 @ 1:30pm — Professor Whizpop — Help the zany professor with his madcap magic show. Fun and giggles guaranteed!
- Friday, June 15, 2018 @ 4:30pm — Mad Science — Energize your summer at this spectacular science show!
- Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 4:30pm — Grey Seal Puppets — Three favorite folktales will come to life with refreshing wit and wisdom!
- Friday, June 29, 2018 @ 4:30pm — Reptile Encounters — Meet reptiles up close and learn about their importance to our ecosystems.
Teens / 6th-10th Grade
Teens at the Library
Mondays @ 5:30pm
Join us every Monday evening for fun programs and experiences.
Source: East Regional Library