Contributed by Patrick Reidy, townofwendell.com
The Wendell Historical Society’s annual Independence Day celebration this year includes a special presentation of dog tags to a WWII veteran.
Join the fun on Main Street and at J. Ashley Wall Town Square in downtown Wendell NC.
Each year, the celebration kicks off with the 4th of July parade down Main Street
Then, everyone gathers in the square to enjoy hot dogs and tasty summer treats and drinks.
These family-oriented Independence Day activities are hosted by the Wendell Historical Society.
The schedule includes:
- Children’s and Pet Parade — 10:30 am
Parade registration starts at 10am at 124 N Main Street, Wendell NC.
Prizes for best costumes, so dress up in your red, white, and blues!
- Veteran’s will be riding in the parade
- Wake and District Pipe Band will be in the parade playing the bagpipes
- Special Veteran’s Program — 11am
Gather in the Town Square.
- Honoring Wendell veterans
- Special ceremony between Bennie Howard Jr. and Jury Galli. Jury found Bennie’s WWII dog tags in Italy, and is flying from Italy to return the dog tags to Bennie!
Bennie grew up in Wendell before leaving home at age 17 to pursue an education.
- Free Hot Dogs at Town Square — 11:30
- Reception at Women’s Club — 12-2pm
Meet Bennie and Jury!
For more information, visit the town website at www.townofwendell.com.