The Global Big Latch On takes place at pre-scheduled locations around the world. Mothers gather to breastfeed and support each other. Friends, family, and community members are invited to join these support events, scheduled for August 5 & 6, 2016.
Latch On events have been held since 2005, spreading across the globe in recent years. Despite publicized shamings of women feeding their children in public, breastfeeding continues and women come together in support of this natural process.
According to the organizers, the Global Big Latch On goals are:
The Global Big Latch On endeavors to protect, promote & support breastfeeding families by:
- Provide support for communities to identify and grow opportunities to provide on-going breastfeeding support and promotion in local communities.
- Raise awareness of breastfeeding support and knowledge available locally and globally.
- Help communities positively support breastfeeding in public places.
- Make breastfeeding as normal part of day-to-day life at a local community level.
- Increase support for women who breastfeed – women are supported by their partners, family and their communities.
- Ensure communities have the resources to advocate for coordinated appropriate and accessible breastfeeding support services.
More information and a location search are available at biglatchon.org.
North Carolina Locations
The Global Big Latch On event includes close to two dozen locations in North Carolina. Some events are scheduled for August 5, 2016, and others for August 6, 2016 (as noted). Below are the NC search results received at time of article publication. For a complete and updated list, be sure to confirm an event by using the location search before heading out to join the groups.
- Big Latch On 2016 Holly Springs/Womble Park (August 5, 2016) — 1201 Grigsby Avenue, Holly Springs NC
- Occonaluftee River Stage (August 5, 2016) — 940 Tsalagi Road, Cherokee NC
- Catawba Valley Medical Center (August 5, 2016 — 810 Fairgrove Church Road, Hickory NC
- Union County Global Big Latch On! (August 5, 2016) — Belk Tonawanda Park, Skyway Drive, Monroe NC
- Dinos & Daisies- A Birth & Beyond Boutique (August 5, 2016) — 162 B North Broad Street, Mooresville NC
- Cary Big Latch On (August 5, 2016) — Baby+ Co. 226 Asheville Avenue, Suite 20, Cary NC
- Bluebird Exchange (August 5, 2016) — 240 Shadowline Drive, Boone NC
- Grow the Family Boutique (August 5, 2016) — 2885 Jones Franklin Road, Raleigh NC
- Caldwell county (August 6, 2016) — Caldwell County Library Meeting room #8, lenoir NC
- St. Patrick Catholic Church – St. Brigid Hall (August 6, 2016) — 2844 Village Drive, Fayetteville NC
- Davis Family Chiropractic Big Latch On (August 6, 2016) — 7901 Strickland Road Suite 104, Raleigh NC
- Charlotte Big Latch On (August 6, 2016) — 131 Providence Road, Charlotte NC
- The Big Latch On of Asheville (August 6, 2016) — 198 Vermont Avenue, Asheville NC
- Bridge Park Pavilion (August 6, 2016) — 76 Railroad Avenue, Sylva NC
- Wilmington Big Latch On at Tidal Creek Co-Op (August 6, 2016) — 5329 Oleander Drive, Wilmington NC
- Wilson Medical Center (August 6, 2016) — 1705 Tarboro Street W, Wilson NC
- The Big Latch On -Maternal Expressions (August 6, 2016) — 2000 Venture Drive, Greenville NC
- “All Aboard the Health Train” Health Fair (August 6, 2016) — 100 College Drive, Weldon NC
- Jacksonville, North Carolina (August 6, 2016) — Freedom Fountain-830 New Bridge Court, Jacksonville NC
- Family Chiropractic Plus (August 6, 2016) — 1635 North Howe Street, Suite J &K, Southport NC
The Big Latch On Founders, Women’s Health Action, coordinate the Big Latch On in New Zealand and Small Beginnings Group, LLC DBA Global Big Latch On coordinates the Global Big Latch On.
Learn, Latch, Love: A Breastfeeding Event
In addition to the Big Latch On, a free breastfeeding class is being offered this week in Eastern North Carolina.
The event is not affiliated with the Big Latch On, but is being held by local groups and is included here due to the close timing.
Scheduled August 4, 2016, 4-6pm, in the ground floor hospital cafeteria at Wayne Memorial Hospital, Wayne Memorial Drive, Goldsboro NC, experts from the hospital will be speaking on why Breastfeeding is the Best feeding for babies.
Attend to learn, sign up for door prizes, visit vendors, and network with other local mothers. Topics covered will include benefits, nutrition, anatomy, infections, and support.
Advance registration is requested. Call 919.587.3300 to register or ask questions. Sign up online at www.waynehealth.org/about/events/learn-latch-love.
Note: Photo below shows a woman breastfeeding her child. Those who find such scenes inappropriate should leave now. Those who have read this article, support the built-in process of breastfeeding, will hopefully not be bothered by the photo.