When Vollis Simpson began creating Whirligigs at his family farm, likely he didn’t foresee the way his creations would captivate the county and cause creation of a Whirligig park and festival in his name.
Now the 2016 Whirligig Festival is coming up, taking over downtown Wilson, North Carolina, and the Vollis Simpson Whirligig Park and Museum. This year’s festival is November 5-6, 2016, 10am-5pm. It includes contests, music and entertainment, vendors, and — of course — Whirligigs!
Navigate to Historic Downtown Wilson, 112 Goldsboro Street E, in Wilson NC.
Cake Dive Contest
Join the fun and participate in The Cake Dive, a messy event involving participants diving into a 10-foot cake to win prizes. Pre-register at prize sponsor locations around Wilson, two weeks before the festival. A name will be drawn from each sponsor location to participate.
Register as often as you’d like, at these sponsor locations:
- Arts Council of Wilson
- Barton College
- Colonial House of Flowers
- Cupcake Dream
- Greenlight Community Broadband
- McDonalds (Ward Blvd/Nash)
- Wilson Country Club
The last chance to register will be at the Greenlight display booth during the festival Saturday. The cake dive will be held on the Courthouse plaza on Sunday at 4pm with participants diving for prize numbers hidden within the large cake.
Music and Entertainment
Entertainment on two stages includes a variety of bands and groups.
- The TAMS — Sunday
- JB & The Get Down Brown Band — Saturday, 11am-1:30pm
- The Holiday Band — Saturday, 2-5pm
- The Eric Strickland Show — Saturday, 11am-1:30pm
- The Band Land O’Glory — Saturday, 2-2:45pm
- The Rhythm Express Band — Saturday, 3:15-5pm
- Sunday Church Bands — Sunday
- Line Dance Groups — Saturday and Sunday